Friday, May 20, 2005

Precious in the sight of the LORD...

The word precious is used many times in the Scriptures. Most of the time it describes things--jewels, ointment, the crops of the field, etc., things that we humans might value. However, only three times are we told of something that is precious in the Lord's sight. In Isaiah 43:4 and Psalm 72:14, that precious thing is His people, whose welfare is His prime concern. The third precious thing in God's sight is the death of His saints.

Psalm 116:15 says, "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." Someone once said, "If we knew what God knows about death, we would clap our listless hands." I have been holding on to that thought all this afternoon. My dear friend and sister-in-law is at this moment in a deep sleep, dying of pancreatic cancer. We received word today that her body appears to be shutting down. At any moment she will enter the presence of her Lord and King, the Saviour she has served so faithfully. By her side as she awaits that moment are my brother and their two young boys (ages 14 and 12), her pastor and his wife, my mother, and several close friends.They are singing to her, and praying.

We are told to "Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep" (Romans 12:15). It is easy for me to weep with my brother and the boys. Indeed, I weep for myself, and the loss of someone very dear to my heart. But how hard it is for this frail human to rejoice with Christ Who is receiving His child Home! Yet once she's gone I would not for one moment wish her back from that Glory that awaits her.

God continues to give peace and comfort to us all.

1 comment:

Rand said...

There is nothing sadder than watching an unsaved soul die.

There is nothing more comforting than watching a saved saved soul die, knowing that at their parting breath, they enter glory.

God bless Pearl.